TAO Is Effective
IMPROVEMENT WITH Therapist Assisted Online (TAO) WAS GREATER THAN IMPROVEMENT WITH Therapy As Usual (TAU) ACROSS ALL SCALES.
Note: Clients generally submit 1 BHM-20® entry per week if they complete 1 TAO session per week.
- All subjects sought treatment at a large counseling center, were presented options and chose their treatment condition.
- This was a clinical setting, not a randomized control trial. However, TAU was not a non-treatment control nor an “intended to fail” treatment condition. TAU counselors were highly effective with effect sizes around .75.
- 72 TAO clients, 1169 TAU, no with differences in symptom severity and distress at intake.
- All were screened and had treatment described. Informed consent for treatment was completed.
- Like most real world clinics, there was missing data.
- As a result data was analyzed using a linear mixed model.
- Linear mixed-effects models estimate parameters for missing values.
- As fixed effects, we entered Condition (TAO vs. TAU) and Time (1st through 7th), and the interaction term, into the model.
- Participants were entered as a random effect.
- Visual inspection of residual plots did not reveal any obvious deviations from homoscedasticity or normality.
The OUTCOME MEASURE
Behavioral Health Measure 20®, reliable, valid, well researched instrument. The primary scales are Global Mental Health, Anxiety, Symptoms, Well-Being, and Life Functioning.
Scale is 0-4 with higher scores representing better functioning, lower scores indicating more distress and symptoms. The BHM-20® was created to detect change over time, Global Mental Health and Symptom scales change first, Well-being after a few sessions, Life Functioning tends to change last.
Weekly outcome measure CelestHealth BHM-20® is 20 Questions that can be completed in 90 Seconds.
Low Intensity – High Engagement Therapy
What is “Low Intensity” treatment?
- “Low Intensity” means low use of specialist therapist time. It means efficient but meaningful treatment.
- “Low Intensity” is the delivery method, not the client experience
- “Low Intensity” means high access, high volume
- Educational materials present the theory and content
- Therapist provides individual adaption, support, encouragement, problem solving, and accountability
Over 100 studies in 20 countries, have demonstrated that Low Intensity - High Engagement Therapy is as effective as hour long, face-to-face individual therapy for common disorders. Most research on mild to moderate conditions. Therapeutic relationship rated as high as in traditional therapy. Therapist feedback can be phone, text, video conference, e-mail, synchronous or asynchronous.